Saturday, February 9, 2008

My Opportunity

Today Americans in Louisiana, Nebraska, Washington and the Virgin Islands will have an opportunity to caucus or vote for Barack Obama. Today is also the first day that I will be on the streets walking door-to-door telling folks to vote for Barack Obama.

On Tuesday is the Potomac Primary, which includes Maryland, DC and Virginia. It appears that the race will be closest in Virginia, so I will be canvassing Northern Virginia with fellow Generation Obama supporters.

I very rarely go out and canvass for a candidate. In terms of Get Out the Vote (GOTV) efforts, it's probably my least favorite activity. Of course I believe that it is important to engage voters one-on-one, but it can also make me very anxious walking up to a stranger's home on a weekend day and asking them to cast their ballot for a particular candidate.

I feel less anxious canvassing for Obama today, because I believe that this election is so important to my generation. I also believe that Barack Obama is the candidate that we need today, not tomorrow. I am confident that I can make the case for Obama because, simply, he is a candidate that inspires that type of confidence.

I cannot wait to blog about my efforts and success. And I can't wait to pound the pavement for Obama, and to let people know why I believe America needs Barack's leadership.

No comments: