Sunday, February 10, 2008

Seizing Opportunity

Yesterday I had the opportunity to participate in the Potomac Primary, as I trekked with friends through the suburbs of Virginia knocking on doors with the intention of asking folks to vote for Obama. However, it turned out that we did not need to ask anyone for their vote. Door after door, with the exception of the few people not home, voters opened their homes to us and immediately exclaimed that they support Barack Obama!

While we may not have had a chance to encourage more people to vote for Obama, it was striking to be out on the streets and witness the enormous amount of support Obama has. We spoke with young people, older people, women and men, and they were all proud to be for Obama.

When we came back to the District later in the day with our Obama buttons still fastened to our coats, a friend and I were bombarded with requests for buttons from folks that also wanted to show their support for Obama. We were even asked for a button by a woman looking for one for her Obama-supporting Republican mother. It was great!

I am excited about a potential Obama sweep in Maryland, Virginia and the District on Tuesday. Yesterday confirmed for me that Obama really does have the ability to transcend the political divisions that have split our country for way too long. Obama can bring us together again for a brighter future.

1 comment:

Kessa said...

My husband and I were, thanks to a recent move, registered in two different areas. I voted first, and then went and sat in the car outside of his polling place while he went in. I was awed by the sheer number of people - and the variety of people - I saw come to the door. He told me that he was watching the table as people checked in and only seven of the more than a hundred, took red (republican) cards. The rest took blue. And there were many, many Obama buttons and stickers.
Old, young, black, white, brown...people dressed in suits and in landscaping uniforms, mothers with small children and old men helping old women up the stairs - they all came.
I sat there, part of it, and watched history being made.